Monday, November 4, 2013

Pumpkins and Halloween

Phew! What a week!! On Monday, Damon woke up with a swollen eyelid. We kept him home from school and took him to the doctor. They sent us home with a topical cream. That afternoon I did some laundry. I decided to wash my bedspread. I had washed other big blankets and such and thought as I was cramming it in there, "what's the worst that could happen...it just won't get clean." Well, 20 minutes later the smoke alarms went off and smoke was coming from the washer! We got everything settled, then I called Barrett home after the boys and I had opened every door and window in the house. Barrett pulled my super soaked bedspread out of the washer and hung it outside to drip. Of course there was a ladybug infestation outside, so there were ladybugs all over us and flying through our open doors into the house (we're still finding ladybugs inside!). We had promised the kids a trip to Fifer's to get pumpkins, so off we went. Its always so fun! We even scored a 1/2 bushel of perfect Pink Lady apples as "seconds." Seriously, we were digging in the "seconds" bins when a worker came and dumped a bunch of apples that she had just pulled off the full price pile, then told us they "looked too green". Barrett and I were really excited...over apples:)






So, Barrett ended up having to order a new washing machine belt which we learned are not cheap! The next morning, Damon's eyelid was even more swollen!! So, I kept him home from school again and took him to the doctor again! This time they gave us an antibiotic (but we never ended up giving it to him because it was almost fine the next morning). Damon ran errands with me and begged to go to the craft store. Then he found these cute Halloween packs of Perler beads. We bought one for each of the boys and they spent all afternoon making things! That night we had our annual Halloween dinner of mummy dogs! We also had bloody fingers (french fries and ketchup) and eyeballs (grapes). Then, Barrett went to the laundromat to wash my bedspread and another load.


Tommy had his Halloween party at preschool on Wednesday. Hannah was napping, so I didn't get there until the end, but it was cute to walk in and see these little preschoolers with their bat hats dancing to Halloween songs!
That night we carved our pumpkins! Tommy knew exactly what he wanted!! A pirate skeleton. Damon wanted to put a mustache on his. I helped Tommy while Barrett helped Damon, but Damon wanted to do all the carving, so he did!

 That night Barrett fixed my washing machine!! I still feel so silly. One little expensive choice and Barrett paid all my consequences for me!!

Well, Halloween finally came! Tommy was so excited all day long.
He loved being a big brother this day. He put Hannah in her chair and shared his fishies with her.
 So, Hannah discovered our big bag of apples. I kept pulling them out of her hands...cute little apple thief!
 Here are the kids all ready for trick or treating!! I had to put all their photos on here...each one cracks me up! They each had a different pose each time I snapped a picture!!! They are hilarious!





 We went to a friend's house for dinner and trick or treating. It was so fun. The kids were trick or treating singing: It's time to trick or treat, it's time to trick or treat, Hi ho the derio it's time to trick or treat!!
 We made it home to look at our loot!


Damon was sad to see Halloween come to an end.  As Tommy was trying to fall asleep he said, "Mom, I can't believe tomorrow is the first day of Thanksgiving!" 


1 comment:

QAE said...

awesome... i like hanna's pumpkin shirt!