I have two great recipes I thought I'd share. The first is a favorite from my childhood:) My mom always made the best french bread when I was growing up. I'm not a big homemade bread maker...partly because apartment ovens are horrible and partly because I'm just not good at it. This recipe is sooooo easy, quick, and super delicious! I half the recipe to make one loaf.
French Bread
2 1/2 cups warm water
2 pkgs dry yeast--disolve in the water (2 1/4 tsp = 1 packet)
2 Tbsp. sugar
2 Tbsp. melted butter
1 1/2 tsp. salt
6 cups flour
Mix and knead until smooth. Let rise in pan for 15 minutes. Divide into 3 loaves shaped like french bread loaves. Oil cookie sheet and sprinkle with cornmeal. Slash top if desired. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes or until top is lightly golden. Blend 1 egg white and 1 Tbsp water and brush over hot loaves. (I just rub butter over the top instead).
The second recipe is one from my sister in law. Her mom found it in a magazine. We tried it out last night and really like it! We thought some broccoli would also be tasty in it or chicken cooked in a cast iron skillet. Mmmmmmm!
Bowties with Walnuts, Butter, and Sage
1 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
3/4 lb. bow tie pasta
5 Tbsp unsalted butter
12 fresh sage leaves, coarsely chopped
2 Tbsp lemon juice (more when reheating the next day)
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 cup shredded Romano cheese
1. Place walnuts in large, dry nonstick skillet over medium heat. Cook 4-5 minutes, until toasted, shaking pan constantly. Removed from pan and set aside.
2. Cook pasta in boiling, salted water about 10 minutes. When pasta is almost done, melt butter in large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add sage, lemon juice, salt and pepper. Cook a minute or two to blend flavors. Remove from heat.
3. Drain pasta, reserving 1/2 cup pasta cooking water, then add pasta to butter in skillet. Gradually add pasta water. Stir in cheese and toss to combine. Garnish with toasted nuts and serve.
ENJOY!!
Monday, April 20, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
1 comment:
What perfect timing! I was going to dig through our boxes to find a recipe for french bread today - we eat it all the time, and I'm sure it's cheaper to cook it. I think I'm going to try this out today. Thanks!
Post a Comment