Thursday, June 16, 2011

Flag Day

Tuesday was Flag Day! Tommy and I put little Grand Old Flags in the grass lining the sidewalk. Then the boys painted. I had seen on the website No Time For Flashcards, ideas for flags and such. We put tape on a piece of paper to form the stripes. The boys used poof balls (old ones that we weren't using anymore and had been washed) to dip in red paint and dab on their paper. They got a little red, but liked it. They are getting really fast at finishing projects that seem to take forever to set up! I think I'm going to use my mother-in-law's suggestion and buy a tablecloth that can be wiped down and put away...taping newspaper to the table is driving me crazy! So, while the paint was drying, we made a flag treat: graham cracker with frosting and mini blue m&ms and Twizzler's pull and peel for the stripes. We also found our Wee Sing America CD...we've missed listening to it! We read the 4 flag/patriotic books that I have and talked about the colors on the flag and what they represent. Then they put star stickers on blue paper and glued it on our flags. I had Damon decorate a letter "F" to look like a flag. He did an excellent job coloring and writing the word "FLAG." I haven't done much with the boys lately in projects, school, playing, etc. I forgot how much fun it is...but for some reason the day went longer...even with something planned!! For dinner, I thought it would be fun to have waffles with blueberries, strawberries, and whipped cream to look like tasty flags. Well, I told the boys the idea then realized my waffle iron doesn't make squares...we improvised and had them anyway. They sure were tasty! We love a reason to celebrate...Hooray for Flag Day!






3 comments:

Ainsley said...

happy flag day! it passed and i didn't even know it (i actually didn't even realize it was a holiday until i read your post. ha.)

Barry said...

Fun to make and more fun to eat!
Did they sing "You're a Grand Old Flag" again this year? I love it when they would sing it.
What great Americans!
Love, Grandma

Jenny said...

Wow, they did a really good job! I don't know how you keep up on all these holidays!