Thursday, October 9, 2014

Maine and Boston: Parent's Only!

This November Barrett and I celebrate our 10 year anniversary. We've been wanting to take a fun trip without kids and hoped to go to Europe with my sister and her husband, but then we bought a house and that dream went out the window. Barrett's mom found cheap airline tickets and was coming to visit in September, so Barrett decided we needed to go on an early anniversary trip while she was here. She changed her tickets to stay longer so we could get away. We originally planned to be gone 2 nights, but the more we thought about where to go and what to see, 2 nights turned into 4 nights and 5 full days. I've really been wanting to go to Charleston, SC because I was born there and have heard it's a beautiful place. I've also wanted to go to Maine to see the lighthouses. We ended up deciding to drive up to Maine and stay 2 nights then down to Boston for 2 nights. It was awesome! We could do whatever we wanted, see whatever we wanted, eat whatever and whenever we wanted!! No kids to complain or feed or nap. It was about the right amount of time for us. We don't have big hobbies or interests and don't really like spending money eating out every meal and we really started missing our kids...but, it was nice to get a break and hold hands again:)


 We loved Maine! We stayed in Portland on the waterfront and loved being able to walk from our hotel to fun things. We drove around to look at lighthouses. It was so beautiful!

This is Spring Point Ledge Lighthouse. It was fun walking out on this breaker to see it up close. I've seen similar lighthouses in Delaware and Maryland, but the view was much better.

 Then we drove over to the Portland Head Lighthouse. I was so excited walking up to it. It was soooo beautiful!! I mean, I don't think you could get a bad picture of it. We walked around and admired it for awhile. We shopped in the git shop for a few minutes too.



 
We then drove over to The Lobster Shack to see Two Lights. I think I only took a picture of one of these lighthouses. We also ate lunch. I'm not a seafood fan, but was caught up in the atmosphere and wanted to try lobster, until we sat down and I saw that little red creature in a basket with his eyeballs oozing out. Luckily, I ordered a cheeseburger and blueberry pie and Barrett ate the lobster. Good thing they had directions how to eat it on the tray! I tasted it but was too grossed out reading the directions for Barrett on how to eat it. Maybe I should have tried a lobster roll...next time:)


 The best part of eating here was the view. It was so pretty and peaceful! We also bought the kids lobster shaped lollipops at the gift shop there. I wish I would have taken a picture of them!

We walked around downtown Portland and passed Longfellow's house, but didn't want to pay to take a tour. We found Lobster Bisque and contemplated buying it for the boys since they love the Bisque guy on Studio C...but then we realized nobody would eat it, so a picture works too. We ate some pretty tasty food and gelato and wish we had more time to explore more of Maine. 
 We headed down to Boston and stopped at the Boston Temple. We never get to go in together plus Barrett found some family names to do work for. We figured it was the perfect opportunity to do the work! It was nice to be inside together and to do temple work for ancestors. I also chatted with one of the workers about Delaware and my grandparents which was really a special moment!
 It was too expensive to stay in Boston, so we booked a hotel 30 minutes outside of town. We had to take a train and subway to get to Fenway park to see a Red Sox game, but worth it! Barrett and the boys have been to lots of sports games this last year, but I haven't been invited, so it was fun to go this time! We had to leave before the game was over so we could catch our train home, but it was still fun...especially since we thought it was going to get rained out!

 We went back into the city the next day to walk the Freedom Trail. Boston felt like such a safe place. We've walked around Philly and DC and Boston felt much safer than other places. 
 We also walked around a little portion of Harvard, so beautiful. It was weird to see a color other than blue in a bookstore. All of Barrett's schools have been navy (BYU, UDEL, Drexel). 
 Across the street from the Harvard bookstore was this cute little shop, which we didn't go in, but thought the kids would like to see the picture. They're George fans!
 We hiked up to Bunker Hill which was 294 steps, but we did it! We rested on the grass when we were done, trying to muster the strength to walk back to the Italian district for dinner...so much walking!!

So, we're not great at taking selfies...or any pictures for that matter:)
The drive back was ok, but we were ready to be home with our kids. Driving through New York in traffic and having to go to the bathroom didn't help either! It was a fun trip and we're glad Grandma was willing to take care of our kids and get them to and from school and soccer! She also helped me by watching the kids during church Sunday so I could play the organ (Barrett had a high council speaking assignment in another ward) and play for choir. It's always nice to have another mother around:) 


2 comments:

Anne Burnett said...

How fun! I'm completely jealous. We really wanted to do a little trip somewhere for our 10th anniversary this year, but in the end, it didn't work out. :( Russ has promised to take me with him to Spain the next time he goes though (crossing my fingers for 2015!)

jweed said...

That is awesome! About time for a trip together and Maine and Boston look like the perfect choice. Gorgeous pictures! You and Barrett don't look any older than you did 10 years ago!