Thursday, July 3, 2008

Pain-filled Week

Damon has discovered "pain" this week. Poor kid was being a good helper and helping me unload the dishwasher--one of his favorite things to do. He was handing me a pretty heavy glass cup, when it fell, heaviest part down, straight on his toe! He cried and cried all morning long. It almost immediately turned black and just keeps getting uglier, but at least he can move it and walk on it. He wouldn't let me treat it at all--no ice, no popsicle!, no bandaid, and barely a little cold water (I was smart enough to give him motrin to easy the painful throbbing). The sadest part was he's learned some new vocabulary--"ow"--and anytime I tried to sit him down or he looked at his toe, he'd cry "owww". Cute, but sad. I finally was able to calm him a little with Elmo. He ended up falling asleep on me watching Elmo!
I laid him on the couch and was able to get a few things done for 45 minutes. He took a great nap that afternoon too! When Barrett got home, Damon had to show his wound to him. He even still looks at it and points.
Later that day, we picked up some friends from the airport and I was in the back with Damon, handing him toys. I was helping him put some little sunglasses on. Well I ended up pinching his little pinkie in the sunglasses and we had tears all over again. He kept showing me his pointer finger after that (not the finger that got injured).
The next morning, he injured that poor little toe all over again when playing on the couch. Ouch!
This morning was another "painful" experience. We had appoitments this morning with a nutritionist. Damon was on my lap and she grabbed his finger to prick it for a little blood sample. Well, Damon was so mad and cried and cried and kept saying "no, no, no, no". The worst part was, she wasn't even supposed to prick his finger, just mine!!! So, she pricked mine, and I noticed that Damon's bandaid was full of blood, so I asked for another one. Long story short, I had to use my own wipie to clean mine and Damon's bloody hands then try to distract him the rest of the appointment so he wouldn't look at his bandaid-ed finger. Kind of annoying. Poor kid!
We're heading off to a family reunion at some cabins and I'm worried we've entered the ouchie-always need bandaids stage. Sigh......

5 comments:

Ainsley said...

oh no! poor little baby. but crying all week? more like poor little mommy! have fun at the reunion! i'm sad i'm not up there to see you.

Erin said...

Oh poor little guy! I hope he gets better soon.

About Me said...

Poor little guy hope his toe feels better soon!! Too bad the band-aid stage lasts until at least 3rd grade, i learned from experience.

HalnJess said...

WAIT - you're coming?!?! YAYYYYYYYYYYY!!!! I'm doing a happy dance over here...

I'm so sorry about his little owies--my heart always breaks when those little guys get hurt!

QAE said...

Amy. I don't all my pictures with me here in Kazakhstan, but I do have some bloody toe pictures from the sidewalk out front.....