Thursday, January 22, 2009

Life with 2



So, life with 2 children is totally different. In some ways, I think this transition is a lot harder than the transition from being a little married couple and then having a little baby. Sure, I know how to change little boy diapers (really well) without them getting everything wet. I know how to nurse and burp a baby. I am even dealing with the screaming episodes (of the baby, not mine) tons better than the first time around. I'm doing amazingly well for not getting long amounts of sleep at a time. But...how in the world do mothers cope with a 2 year old while nursing and burping a baby? How are you supposed to change a little baby size one diaper while the 2 year old is in the kitchen standing on a stool trying to eat the chocolate cake that someone just dropped off? Or, change a 2 year old size 4 or 5 dipaer while the little 3 1/2 week old baby is screaming for something? How do you deal with a baby crying in the middle of the night while the 2 year old has woken up and is now crying in his room too? What do you do when you finally get the baby down to sleep at 5:30 in the morning, then the little 2 year old decides to rise and shine?
Adjustments. We're trying to adjust. We're slowly coming around. The first week of little Tommy's life, we just had each other. Barrett was off school and we sure tried to make it through. The next week, my mom came. Boy, was that ever helpful!!!
It was so nice to have someone play with Damon while I went back to bed in the mornings. She also took the baby in the middle of the night if he was crying and didn't need to be fed. She also helped me organize my kitchen counters and took me shopping to Costco and WalMart. I love my mom and wish we lived closer. She had a busy December with Christmas, my sister's wedding, 7 children and their families coming home, my grandma's funeral which meant an unexpected trip to Utah, New Year's, and tying up loose ends before she came to help me. What sacrifice! Thanks again mom, you're the best! I've been on my own this last week and realize how many ways I fall short of being a good mom. Adjustments. Why do they have to be so rough? Barrett's mom flies in tonight and I'm feeling grateful. Thank heavens for Southwest deals and parents who love their children and grandchildren. My dad says I'm just dealaying the unevitable (inevitable?)...eventually, it'll just be me, Barrett, and 2 boys. Until then, I'm glad of the slow delay to reality:)

9 comments:

Erin said...

You just stated all my fears of having another child. I think that's the reason why I keep delaying it! :) You're a great mom...I hope it gets easier soon.

Jaimee said...

Oh, hang in there!! Going from 1 to 2 is DEFINITELY an adjustment. I promise going from 2 to 3 is MUCH easier (especially when the last two are almost 5 years apart haha). Good luck!

gardeniagirl said...

I feel your pain. Having 2 is hard! Your first child is forced to grow up. My mom told me after not seeing Dottie for 4 months after I had Elliot that she was like a new child. She learned how to help, how to listen (most of the time), and how to be patient with me and the new baby. Damon will adjust, eventually. My advice is that you make sure you make special time for him when the baby's napping, even though you're tired and feel like vegging. It'll make him not resent the baby.

Melanie said...

OH, darn. I was just thinking I need to get going on providing a sibling for Clark. I can't imagine having a newborn and chasing my rambunctious Clark around the house doing damage control! I am sure it is going to get easier and you will all adjust and get a good routine going. Good luck. Cute cute boys!

Haymonds said...

Oh goodness. Oh well, as you said, adjustments, right? We have to learn to walk before we can run! Best luck with getting it all figured out. When you do, pass the information on to the rest of us! :)

Jessica and Bryce said...

I swear my stomach started knotting and I may have even began to have some palpations as I read your post...just remembering those adjustment days (wait, i still may be adjusting). But then I remembered that amazingly enough you get through them! One day at a time. Heavenly Farther gives us strength beyond our capacity to bear what we think we cannot. It sounds like you have a good attitude about it. My thoughts are with you. You are a super woman!

jweed said...

you said it so well, amy. i remember those days all too vividly. but you're right, it is definitely an adjustment. i bet you're doing better than you think! just look. . .you had time to post on your blog!

Tyler and Rachael said...

thank heavens for moms who come and help after babies are born!!!! both boys are absolutely adorable--your baby is precious.

HalnJess said...

Oh, I'm feeling for you. I bet it is such a rollercoaster -- especially with such an active little guy bouncing around. These are the times I wish we lived closer...I have zero advise - only please give me any notes that you learn along the way!

(My friend just gave her 3 yr old a baby doll that he has to take care of at the same time the real baby needs something).