Monday, March 9, 2009

Long Time Coming and Long Post

Barrett had a week off after finals. We enjoyed spending more time together as a family. It was sad that the weather wasn't nicer so we could play outside, but Damon had a runny nose anyway. By Friday, the weather was much nicer, so we decided to take the boys to the Brandywine Zoo. We got there right when it was supposed to open, and waited and waited. Finally we were allowed into the zoo and were excited to find out that it was free for the day. Not many others were there, not many animals for that matter either. We stayed for quite awhile just letting Damon roam and roam. I think his favorite thing was eating his fruit snacks on the bench.

That night my Dad and Barrett's brother, Quinn (Damon calls him Uncle Winnie), flew in. Kim drove up from the DC area Saturday morning and we decided to go to the Wildlife Bird Refuge 45 minutes away. It was a lot colder...and windy! It was nice to be able to drive around and enjoy time with family. We got out at a few spots and basically froze. We didn't see many birds, but as we passed the entrance/exit on our way home, there on the field was a massive amount of birds...outside the refuge. We enjoyed the rest of the evening visiting and eating Famous Dave's.

Sunday, was a very special day. Tommy was given a name and a blessing in church. It was so special to have my dad there...as our little Tommy is named after him. And it was good to have Quinn there as well. Barrett did a nice job, as always. Barrett and I were so busy with him playing the organ and subbing in nursery, and me trying to maintain sanity among 2 screaming and crying boys, that we were lucky we got pictures afterwards. Quinn had to head up to the airport, we ate dinner, then Kim had to leave too. As she was heading out the door, Damon said,"drive safely!" Who taught him that?!

Monday morning, we woke up to a few inches of snow. I listened to the school closings only to find out that Drexel was open. Poor Barrett had to go to school when every other school in the area was closed, or so it seemed. My dad played with Damon all morning and even went out on the porch with him to inspect the snow. It was good to have him here and sad to see him leave.

The next few days, Barrett was able to come home and take Damon to play in the snow. One day I was talking to Barrett on the phone to see if he was on the train. Damon plopped his little chair in front of the window. I asked him what he was doing and he said something like,"looking out the window waiting for daddy to come home and play in the snow." So funny! He started watching a show instead as I was feeding the baby. I kept hearing this noise and finally looked at Damon...he was snoring. Poor kid fell asleep waiting for his dad to get home to take him to play in the snow.

We had a busy, chilly week and didn't venture out. Friday was warmer again. On Saturday we did so many things!! We went grocery shopping, the boys played outside, quick library visit, we cleaned the church, and the boys went to WalMart. Sunday wasn't too bad. Damon was super wound up by late afternoon, so we went for a drive. He fell asleep and stayed asleep. Barrett tried getting Damon's pajamas on him. He got the pants on, then Damon snuggled right up on the changing table before his shirt could get on! He stayed asleep until this morning around 7!!

Well, Barrett's in his last 2 months of classes!! We have a lot of decisions to make in the next few weeks. We can't believe this chapter in our lives will be over. A little scary, but exciting as well.

Oh! I was just looking at my slide show again. The artwork is a drawing my Grandma Weed did in 1974. A lady in my ward came up to me Sunday and gave me this picture. My Grandma had made it for her when she was in Young Womens. This lady had it up in her kitchen for years, but has remodeled and thought I would like it since it was done by my grandma. What a great unexpected treasure.

5 comments:

howelltree said...

Amy, what a treasure you have in grandma's picture. I love it and I'm so glad it was passed on to you. That was very thoughtful of the woman in your ward:)

Spitzer Family said...

Sounds like you are keeping busy and COLD. Guess what-Mike and I might be in DC for 2 months coming up here. It would be fun-we could hook up a few times since McKinley and I will just be hanging out while he works. I'll let you know when we find out the details.

HalnJess said...

I love the photos! And I had no idea Barrett played organ - hidden talents!! Good luck over the next two months - we have to make some big decisions this week as well and I would just rather crawl back into bed!! AGH!!

QAE said...

Nice!!! I like the pictures of Damon and Aunt Tim, too.

Anonymous said...

Loved the slide show - cute family! And how neat to have that picture given to you. Can't wait to see all of you again!