We drove up to New Jersey, parked the car, hopped on a train, and relaxed until we reached NYC!! I don't know how, but I forgot Barrett took a train every day to Philadelphia for 3 years. Riding on the train with him listening to him reminisce and explaining how he studied on a crowded train made me really sad. I dropped him off at the train station every day and then picked him up. I never realized what he had to go through in between time. I still can't believe he made it through law school riding the train every day. We could count on one hand the number of times he missed his train too!! Wow.
So, we were a little too early to check into our hotel, so since we had backpacks for luggage, we walked down to Guitar Center. Barrett has been drooling over the website for months. He even bought a new guitar, but ended up sending it back after a few weeks for various reasons. He was SOOOO excited to walk into an actual Guitar Center and play the guitars he'd been looking at online. I just sat and listened for probably over a half hour. We finally made it to the hotel. We were on the 24th floor. This was our view out our window.
Pretty awesome. We watched tv and took naps. Barrett said he needed to be "rested" to go see Wicked later that night. It was pretty neat to watch what we wanted during the day, plus take a nap! With two little non-napping boys, the parents never get to nap. We got ready for the rest of our adventure and headed out. We walked through Times Square. Barrett saw a ticker that mentioned Brandon Davies and BYU. He was pretty excited. He thought it was awesome that anything BYU was news in NYC.
We walked around Rockefeller Center. I kept seeing things our little boys would love.
Like this giant Easter Bunny.
We had fun walking around at OUR pace, not a child's. We went to a fun cafe for dinner, then made it to the Gershwin Theater to see Wicked!! It was pretty fun and exciting. Barrett had a pretty bad cough all week, so we were worried he'd start hacking and wouldn't stop, but we luckily made it through. We are not used to staying up late, so we were pretty tired by the time it ended, but we both really enjoyed it!!
The only thing I wanted to do was see Wicked, the only thing Barrett wanted to do was sleep in. We woke up at 8:30!! Heaven. It was raining Saturday morning, so we had a difficult time deciding what to do. We finally packed up and checked out. We hopped onto the subway and went back to Rockefeller Center to go to the Magnolia Bakery for cupcakes. We passed by the night before, but couldn't remember what corner we saw it on. I took us the long way...in the rain. Barrett finally found it. Another thing that wouldn't have been fun with kids:) We picked out some pretty beautiful cupcakes and took off. We ate at another cafe then headed to Penn Station to get back on a train home. We shared one of the 6 cupcakes and instantly wished we bought more! We made it to our car and drove home...sharing another cupcake. Barrett loved them and I am now thinking I can convince him much easier to stop by Georgetown Cupcakes soon!!
The boys had fun with Grandma, but were still excited to see us. After dinner we shared the rest of the cupcakes with everyone. Delicious! We had a really great time. We've never left both boys with someone over night, so I was really worried about it. But, once I was gone, I was fine and knew they were safe. This morning we couldn't believe our adventure was only one week ago...it seems so long ago.
4 comments:
I'm so glad you got to see Wicked and take a vacation (even if it was only 24 hours)!
Glad you two had a fun trip! Aren't those cupcakes AWESOME?! I had one from that same shop in the eatery in the basement of Grand Central Station when I was there. Which kinds did you try?
How did you get tickets to Wicked? Just wondering. I'm glad you had fun. Also, it makes me feel old that you're talking like an actual parent. Wasn't it just old people that talked about how great it was to be able to do things without kids? What happened? p.s. I'm not saying you're old!
I've always wanted to see Wicked! I hope you had a good time.
Post a Comment